I am never surprised at how un-common common sense is. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the business arena.
I was just working with one of my Trade Show clients who was getting ready for next weekends Mind, Body and Spirit Festival and he couldn’t believe the biggest issue in having a successful trade show. Rather simply it is defining what success is. The simple question of “What do you want to get out of the trade show?”
The simple concept of what gets measured gets improved HAS to be applied to trade shows. This all becomes part of defining your Return of Investment. I am not saying they always have to pay for themselves (the first couple probably won’t) but you need to know whether it has or not.
So what do you want from your next trade show?
- Increased brand awareness
- Increased sales (and what figure would that be?)
- Qualified sales leads
- A stack of business cards (from the fishbowl lucky dip)
- Intelligence on your competition (you will be looking at their booth won’t you?)
- An opportunity to present to the conference
Now that you know what you want from the show, make sure that everyone working in your booth knows too!!
Good luck with your next show.
The Get More Guy